Sunday, 12 August 2012

Day 49: Salt Lake City to Craig via the dinosaur quarry

Hi everyone
Well we had a bit of a restless night last night when a group of young lads decided to have a party outside our rooms at 3.30am. But it was ok. Ebony got lent on and used as a drink stand but nothing worse. Fortunately. I'm not sure what I would have done but I think I would have been jolly annoyed if they had started lifting her covers. Goodness me yes.

We were up and on the road early this morning. Just before 7am we were rolling onto 80 and heading south and east on Utah 40. The views as we left Salt Lake City were great with red skies lighting up the mountain ranges.

The route took us through Fruitland and Roosevelt to Duchesne where we stopped for a break. Duchesne was adorned with US flags and great flowers.

Look hard and you'll see Kiwi in this one.

While we were there we met Michael Jackson from Virginia. Michael was riding a Vstrom with lots of stickers from Europe, especially Switzerland. Kiwi went and checked him out. Seems ok. :-)

He took this photo of the three of us (Ebony, Kiwi and me) as we left.

We then decided to make a detour to visit the Dinosaur Natural History Museum. It was great. The feature is the quarry where the dinosaur bones have been partially excavated but are still on display. Kiwi wanted to go through the shop first. Here he is talking to an eagle and explaining why you don't really need to have big wings to be a kewl bird.

Sorting out some little dinosaurs. Uncommunicative lot apparently.

Kiwi wondered if this might be a rellie?

We then got on the shuttle up to the quarry. Past this rock face.

To the quarry. This is the actual quarry with the actual bones excavated in the 60s and 70s.

Kiwi checked out the thigh bones and made silly remarks about KFC.

They referred to this as a log-jam of dinosaur bones. Apparently as the original river dried up, lots of dinosaurs died in the drying river bed. When the river resurged some billions of years later, the bones accumulated here. It was absolutely amazing.

Kiwi chatted up the allosaurus. Seemed ok.

Didn't get much out of this chap. Looks a bit like Stephen Joyce really.

There were some neat kids there too with their parents.

Kiwi performed for this wee chap.

We were back on the road after that. A pretty long haul in 33 degrees C with a lunch stop at Dinosaur finally arriving at Craig at 4.39pm. We checked into a Best Western again and then went over the road for a beer(s) and dinner. All good.

Today's run: 548kms
Cumulative: 13,924kms
Tipovers: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment