Saturday 15 September 2012

Day 69: Guarrero Negro to Loreto on Baja California Sur

Greetings all
Well, what a great day in the office today!
We were all up quite early for breakfast - I thought I had the salsa separado sorted for my eggs Benedictine but no such luck. Never mind, lets just say the sauce was disgusting!
It was a long long straight road to San Rosarito but that was ok. A great road with the temperature in the mid 30s.
First though I had to get my gruts dry. This seemed to work.




We were certainly in the tropics. This is a hibiscus tree. I didn't get a photo of the cockroach before I stomped it.




A good photo of Diana as we got set to leave.




The army base next door were up and playing music.




First we had to get the girls back down the wheelchair ramp and onto the road.




And then Mella.








The first section of the road was long and straight. It just went on and on.




with these amazing cactus forests - so hard to photograph.








We seemed to be gradually climbing and then suddenly came over a crest and here was this huge plain.








Some amazing engineering here.




We stopped in San Rosarito for lunch where Kiwi got to chat up some locals.




I ordered carne asada. I wasn't sure what it was but I figured that carne meant meat. It was actually a thin beef steak thing. My first bite was not promising. I chewed and chewed and chewed some more. I was beginning to think this was going to be a long lunch but actually the bites improved. By the third I was into the tender bits and it was not bad. Not bad at all. (for non-kiwis this means it was actually quite good. Excellent even!)
On the way out of town I stopped for petrol and was served by this hard case woman.




I was trying to practise my Spanish and she was trying to practise her English. It was a hoot. She then asked me if I wanted to go with her and "make babies." I couldn't believe my ears so I asked her to repeat it. Yep, that's what she said. And then collapsed laughing. I practised saying "vamoose" and I was out of there.
We then followed the coast road down heading for Loreto. Obviously we are out of the tourist season. Or maybe the tourists aren't coming anymore. We stopped at this beach for a looksee.












and then went off down this lovely windy road to Loreto. We drove around a bit and then found this hotel.




We tried to explain what we wanted in our limited Spanish and the guy on reception said, "Say, do you guys speak English?" He did, and very well at that. He said we could park the bikes on the patio so we did. This involved some tricky maneuvering through the columns at the back and the removal of panniers but we got there.




Not quite sure how we're going to get out though as the driveway we came in is now full of cars. Here's Kiwi checking out the lie of the land.




So, a great day in the office today. I learned that "Curvos Peliagroso" does not mean "144 curvaceous pelicans" but is something about sharp bends. The roads so far have been excellent. Good surfaces, not too much traffic and evidence of lots of work with new bridges especially. Funny though, we went over a huge bridge with eight spans, all named from I to VIII and then at the last one, a sudden drop down to ground level and a ford. Huh? I wonder why.
Also amazing soaring birds. Eagles? Buzzards? I don't know but they have those lovely finger-feathers at the ends of their wings.
Also army security checkpoints. We still don't know what they're looking for.




And so off for a late dinner and a glass of wine and that was it! Another good day in the office. :-)
Today's run: 420kms
Cumulative: 20,181kms
Tipovers: 2

Location:Loreto in Baja California Sur

No comments:

Post a Comment